Sunday 27 January 2013

The Makeup Diet Challenge: Day 2


Day: 2
Challenge Rules: The Makeup Diet 
Today's Choice: Loose Mineral Powder Foundation

My Experience:

Today I felt the first pang of apprehension during this challenge, with a family gathering being the focal point of my day. Though your family loves you for who you are I always want to put my best face forward when we get together.

Today I chose a loose mineral powder foundation as my cosmetic for the day, and thus the experimenting began. First, I combined some powder with a touch of aloe-vera gel to make a concealer like consistency which I applied to problem areas for more coverage. Then, using a fluffy kabuki brush I applied a light dusting of powder as usual- focusing on my T-zone. I used a wet eyeshadow brush in some powder on my eyelids to brighten that area. I curled my lashes and once again used my favourite ingredient: aloe-vera gel, on an empty mascara wand as my own variation of clear mascara. Taking a bit of coconut oil on my hands I lightly dabbed my cheekbones, cupids bow, and brow bone as an impromptu highlighter to remove the matte look of powder.

Though it took a bit of MacGyver-ing I was happy with the results of today's experimentation. Usually I would use several products to create a look like this, but the challenge provided me with the opportunity to find new uses and ways of applying a product. All this mad-scientist mixing got me in a creative mood and after two days without eyeshadow I was itching for some colour, so I took it out on a face chart! I use these charts to experiment with different colours and shapes before I tone them down to try on myself. To me makeup is art- something we should always be experimenting and having fun with. To take a page from a cartoon of my childhood "Take chances, make mistakes, get messy"- Miss Frizzle, The Magic School Bus . 

No comments:

Post a Comment